August 23, 2013 - by
Honda, like other major vehicle manufacturers, extends warranties to provide protection on its new cars. These are all called “limited” warranties, meaning certain exclusions apply. Although most new vehicle warranties in the industry are similar in their provisions, certain differences may apply from one manufacturer to another. In the case of Honda, for example, no provision is made for emergency roadside assistance to new owners, although most other automakers include some form of this coverage in their warranties.
For Honda owners, additional protection plans may be purchased from the manufacturer or from a third party to cover roadside assistance, which normally includes things like towing, lockouts, fuel delivery when out of gas, battery jump, flat tire repair, etc. Most extended auto warranty plans (service contracts) purchased from third parties will include emergency roadside assistance as one of their included benefits.
New Car Warranties
Honda includes limited factory warranties on all new vehicles, including hybrids. These fall into five separate categories, as detailed below:
- Basic – this is coverage for everything on the car with the exception of items subject to wear & tear or those that require regular replacement such as windshield wipers, oil filters, brake pads and tires. Many items, such as tires and batteries, come with their own manufacturer’s warranties. Honda’s basic protection plan extends for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- Drive Train – also called power train coverage, applies to components involved in powering the vehicle, including the engine, transmission, drive shaft and drive axles. Factory drive train coverage extends for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, and excludes normal maintenance and adjustments. Certain parts subject to normal wear & tear are also excluded, such as belts and hoses, although internal parts subjected to wear & tear such as bearings and pistons will be covered.
- Rust or Corrosion – new Hondas are covered against rust and corrosion for five years with no mileage limitations. To qualify, rust or corrosion cannot be simply limited to surface damage but must make an actual hole through the metal.
- Accessory – genuine accessories that were installed on a new vehicle at the time of purchase are covered for three years or 36,000 miles.
- Replacement Parts – genuine parts that have been bought/installed by a certified dealer come with a one-year parts and labor protection plan.
Used Honda Extended Vehicle Plans
Honda has two extended plans that offer additional benefits, such as roadside assistance, trip interruption coverage and rental car reimbursement:
- Care® VSC, for cars less than three years old and with less than 36K miles.
- Care Maintenance™, for cars less than one year old and with less than 12K miles.
Buying an extended auto policy from a third party is also a way to get benefits such as those offered in the Care Plans and, in many cases, this plan will be less expensive to purchase.
Used Car Coverage
Certified Used Cars also come with limited warranties if they are five years old or less and have 80K miles or less when certified. Power train protection is for seven years/100K miles from the registration date of the original new car plan. Coverage for non-power train components extends for 12 months or 12K miles after the original plan has expired or, if the warranty has already expired at the time of the used car purchase, for 12 months/12K miles, which ever comes first. Items covered include:
- Air Conditioning
- Audio (systems made by the manufacturer only)
- Fuel System
- Heating & Cooling
Once original factory warranties have expired, the purchase of an extended protection is a smart way to extend valuable vehicle protection.
According to AutoGuide.com ratings, the best Honda models as of 2013 are:
- 5 Star Reviews
- Civic Hybrid
- Civic Sedan
- 4.5 Star Reviews
- 4 Star Reviews
- Accord Sedan
- Civic Coupe
- 4 Star Reviews
- Accord Coupe
If you are planning on buying a service contract for your vehicle online please read these tips about how to find the best extended auto warranty for your automobile. Our auto warranty reviews will help you find the most reputable and reliable company in the industry.